Monday, June 2, 2008

I am so excited! This is my first blog! I could not decide what to blog about about at first....do I discuss those huge heavy things like politics, or going green, or rising gas prices? Do I talk about a few of my favorite things like, my hubby, or my kids, or friends, or my church, or Freezer Cooking!?!?! Or...do I discuss something no one wants to talk about... dealing with, or overcoming depression...... almost everyone I know has struggled with it at one time or another. Whether it was when you had a baby, or moved to a new city and knew no one or suffered a loss of some type, sooo..... that being said.... I found something.... or read something and simply added a few things to it and I now call it my "Medicine-Box for Depression." I hope this help you or someone you know. be blessed.....

Medicine -Box for Depression

Get some friends-
We all need them! they laugh with us and cry with us and always remind us it will get better nothing last forever!

Read- don't grab the oreo's, read away your cravings, esp. the big book, it always helps! put your mind on something else

Be Accountable to Someone-
Most 12 step programs have mentors to teach & guide & inspire them towards physical, mental, and spiritual health. When you tell someone something, or or write it down, you are more likely to do it!

Predict your weak Spots-
If you know mornings are your most difficult, plan something to look forward too, like an early morning walk, or a special cup of coffee, or a morning show on TV

Distract Yourself-
A cup of hot tea, de-cluttering your house, scrapbooking, looking at a magazine, listening to music, journaling, etc.

Sweat-
Ok- this one is proven- no better buster for depression than exercise! (hey- I don't have to like them all!)

Start a Project-
the fastest way to get out of your head is to start a project; putting together a family album, painting a room, planning a party

Keep a Record-
keeping a journal of thoughts & behaviors can really help you purge feelings of sadness, guilt, anger, etc. It is a way of "cleaning out the closets of our minds."

Be the Expert-
I always feel less depressed when helping someone else who is struggling with feelings of sadness. It is the 12th step in most 12 step programs- Give and ye shall receive. The best thing I can do for my brain is to find someone in greater pain than myself and offer them my hand. If she takes it, than I am inspired to stand stronger so than I can pull her out of her funk- thus helping myself in the process.

Grab your Security Item-
(Not the Oreos!) Everyone needs a blankie- ok- not everyone- but do you have a favorite shirt or pair of comfy yoga pants made from prima cotton that feel oh so soft? Or maybe you carry a little, tiny, cross in your pocket?Something that reminds you that the most important things ARE NOT THINGS. When I doubt that there is goodness in this world, I can close my eyes, and go to my happy place of comfort and security.

Get on Your Knees-
This is the FIRST thing we should do in every situation- good or bad, but especially think that the person struggling with depression needs several scriptures that you have committed to memory that you can quote, out loud even, on those particularly dark days

Do Nothing-
Some days we just need permission to take a "mental health day" as we like to call them at my house! or maybe you can't take a whole day, but I bet you can take a nap! Even a 20 minute nap, studies have shown, will refresh the brain and give the energy you need to tackle the rest of your day. After all- Tommorow is another day!

1 comment:

Faux Sweets said...

Hello Friend, So happy to see you blogging away!!!!!

Next step is to start that BIZ!!!!

Love to you and your family,
Becca